Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Velveteen Rabbit

I'm here in Lincoln, NE now and so far I have been very pleasantly surprised with what this city has to offer. To start off, I am staying with two wonderful host parents and tonight I got the chance to chat with them. They asked me about relationships and I briefly told them about my cynicism towards love. Well, my host dad starts talking and I just wanted to share. It went something like this:

"Have you ever heard of the "Velveteen Rabbit?" It's the story of how a stuffed toy rabbit gets shabbier and shabbier because of how much a boy loves him. His tail starts to fall off, his eyes get all scratched up, his fur starts to come off, but it doesn't matter because the boy still loves him anyway. And isn't it how we all are? We've all been in relationships that have left us shabbier, but when we find that person that loves us no matter what, that is when life is outstanding. And Linette (my host mom and his wife) really does love me like that, even though my own tail and fur is falling off. "



I couldn't help but smile and yes, it did give me a glimmer of hope with this weird thing called relationships...for a second, at least.

No comments: